Raw treats have been around for a few years now, but the demand for natural desserts is still growing. Made with whole food ingredients like nuts, dates and fruit, rather than flour, refined sugar and dairy, raw desserts can be found in cafes, health food stores and markets.
If you're up to making your own raw desserts, try this raw blueberry cake with two decadent layers and a thick nutty crust.
This raw blueberry cake is colourful, rich and easy to make, making it perfect for birthdays or when you just want a healthier treat.
Recipe from Australian Blueberries.
For the crust:
- 1⅔ cup walnuts
- ¼ cup pecans
- 1¼ cup pitted dates
- 5 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
For the cashew layer:
- 450g cashews
- ¼ cup agave
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
For the blueberry layer:
- 35g cashews
- 1⅓ cup blueberries
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- ⅓ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup blueberries
- Zest of ½ lemon
- 1 tablespoon buckinis
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate seeds
- Edible flowers for decorating
- Place 450g cashews into a small bowl and cover with water. In a separate bowl repeat the same step with other portion of cashews. Set aside for one hour.
- For the base, place the walnuts and pecans into a food processor blending for two minutes or until fine. Add the dates and melted coconut oil, and blend again for 30 seconds until incorporated. Place mixture into a 22cm non stick cake tin. Push the base in firmly with your fingertips and place in fridge for half an hour to set.
- For the white cashew layer, pour the cashews (keep soaking water), agave and coconut oil into a high-speed blender or food processor. Blend for one minute or until smooth. Add soaking water slowly as needed. Remove cake tin from the fridge and pour in mixture on top of the base. Place into the freezer for one hour.
- For the purple blueberry layer, pour the cashews (keep soaking water), blueberries, coconut oil and coconut flour into a high-speed blender or food processor. Blend for one minute or until smooth. Add soaking water slowly as needed. Remove pan from the freezer and pour the purple mixture into cake tin.
- Top with blueberries and lemon zest, and place into the freezer for one hour.
- Remove from fridge and decorate with buckinis, pomegranate seeds and edible flowers. Slice and enjoy.