Chia seeds are becoming a bigger and bigger part of the health food scene. And if you're someone who makes an effort to eat healthier, you may have dabbled in a chia seed recipe or two. These tiny black seeds are tasteless -- and undergo a really cool gelatinous transformation when wet -- so they're easy enough to incorporate into your diet. But do you have any idea why you should actually be doing so?
As much as we like chia seed pudding, we wondered if chia was really worth all the hype so we investigated -- and what we found was a resounding yes. If you're looking to add more good-for-you foods into your diet, chia is a great ingredient to incorporate. Here are the five main reasons why:
1. They're full of our favorite thing: antioxidants.
2. A small serving of chia seeds has as much Omega-3 fatty acids in 2 tablespoons as 4 ounces of salmon.
It can be hard to get the recommended amount of Omega-3s without OD-ing on salmon. Chia seeds can help you give the filet a break.
3. Chia seeds are loaded with fiber.
Two tablespoons of chia seeds contain 10 grams of fiber, which is roughly 30 percent of the recommended daily intake. A high fiber diet is said reduce the risk of a number of chronic diseases.
4. They are high in protein, too.
Four grams for each serving (which is two tablespoons). That might not sound like a lot, but it adds up.
5. Chia seeds contain loads of calcium.
This is great news for anyone who doesn't like -- or just can't -- do dairy. The seeds contain five times more calcium than milk per ounce.
And just look at all the delicious things you can make with them.
- Mango SmoothieFoodie Crush
- Lemon & Chia Seed Pull Apart BreadA Beautiful Mess
- Chia Buckwheat PizzaNyoutritious
- Seeded Crispbread CrackersGourmande In The Kitchen
- Vanilla Bean Chia Pudding With Fresh MintHow Sweet It Is
- Lemon Chia Seed Pancakes with Roasted StrawberriesTwo Peas and their Pod
- Coconut Cream Pie Chia Seed PuddingHow Sweet It Is
- Chia Seed Sandwich ThinsNyoutritious
- Raw Chia Seed JamPetite Kitchen
- Meyer Lemon Chia Seed MuffinsThe Corner Kitchen
- Mocha Chocolate Chunk Chia Seed BrowniesAll Day I Dream About Food
- Honey + Lime + Chia Seed Fruit SaladFood For My Family
- Blueberry Cardamom Chia Seed PuddingJames Ransom/Food52
- Chocolate & Coconut Chia Seed MousseMaja Lukic/Food52
- 5 Ingredient Peanut Butter Granola BarsHow Sweet It Is
- Oatmeal With Almond Milk And Chia SeedsAysegul Sanford/Food52
- Dark Chocolate And Cherry Energy BarsFood For My Family
- Quinoa Salad With Feta And Chia SeedsFifteen Spatulas
Do you want to be more mindful about eating healthy foods that’ll keep your mind and body at their best? Sign up for our newsletter and join our Eat Well, Feel Great challenge to learn how to fuel your body in the healthiest way possible. We’ll deliver tips, challenges and advice to your inbox every day.