The Duke Of Sussex said he and the Duke Of Cambridge were “on different paths” but would “always be brothers” as he spoke about their relationship in an ITV documentary.
Speaking to journalist Tom Bradby about reports of a falling out between the pair in a year which has seen Harry and his wife Meghan split from their joint charity with William and his wife Kate, Harry said that “inevitably stuff happens” – particularly with such a high-profile role and the pressure their family is under.
“We are brothers. We will always be brothers,” he said on ITV’s Harry & Meghan: An African Journey.
“We are certainly on different paths at the moment but I will always be there for him as I know he will always be there for me.
“We don’t see each other as much as we used to because we are so busy but I love him dearly.
“The majority of the stuff is created out of nothing but as brothers, you know, you have good days, you have bad days.”
The two couples divided their joint charity into two separate foundations earlier this year, with sources at the time denying any feud, claiming the move was “largely about preparing both couples for their future roles, which are obviously on divergent tracks”.
William and Kate have remained with the original charity, while Harry and Meghan are establishing their own new charitable foundation.
The couples will still continue to work together though, including on the Heads Together mental health campaign.
In the documentary, the Duchess Of Sussex also revealed her British friends warned her against marrying Harry, telling her that tabloid newspapers “will destroy your life”.
Meghan said: “When I first met my now-husband my friends were really happy because I was so happy, but my British friends said to me, ‘I’m sure he’s great but you shouldn’t do it because the British tabloids will destroy your life’.”
However, the Duchess – who was an actress before she married Prince Harry – said she “very naively” didn’t understand what her friends meant, telling them: “I’m not in tabloids.
“I didn’t get it, so it’s been complicated,” she added.
According to the Sunday Times, the couple are set to take some time out of the media spotlight from next month, taking a six-week break from royal duties.
They are expected to take their baby son Archie, who was born in May, to visit Meghan’s mother Doria Ragland in Los Angeles.