Carrots are some of the most versatile veggies in the produce aisle.
But as nutritious and delicious as they are, carrots also prove that too much of a good thing can sometimes be bad. And by bad, we mean Oompa Loompa bad.
Fact: Eating too many carrots can actually turn your skin orange.
So, what's happening here?
Carrots are rich in beta-carotene, a natural pigment that gives the root vegetable its orange color. When you consume too many carrots -- or sweet potatoes, pumpkins, or any other food that is similarly high in carotene -- excess beta-carotene will enter the bloodstream and be stored under the skin, thus giving it a yellow, orange or golden tint.
What qualifies as "too many carrots" is different for each person since it depends on an individual's metabolism, but an average, healthy dosage of beta-carotene is six to eight milligrams a day. According to a Columbia University health blog, "for carotenemia to set in, you might have to consume as much as 20 milligrams per day (or, three large carrots)."
While the condition is seen in adults, it is most common in infants and children, according to the Scientific American. And, since carotene can be excreted in sweat, the color is usually most concentrated (and visible) on the palms of the hand, soles of the feet or on the face's laugh lines -- aka, the nasolabial folds.
But there is an upside to that unnaturally golden glow.
The body converts some of that beta-carotene into vitamin A, which helps to boost your immune system and maintains healthy vision and -- you guessed it -- healthy skin.
If you need some extra carotene in your diet, add carrots to your daily meal plan with the recipes below.
- 1Easy Ranch Baby CarrotsDamn Delicious
- 2Sweet Carrots With TarragonFoodie Crush
- 3Shaved Carrot Salad With Pistachio And Pomegranate VinaigretteFeasting at Home
- 4Roasted Carrots With Farro, Chickpeas And Herbed Crème FraîcheCookie + Kate
- 5Ginger Carrot SoupFoodie Crush
- 6Honey Roasted Maple CarrotsDamn Delicious
- 7Carrot Ginger Pork BunsThe Woks Of Life
- 8Pomegranate Roasted Carrots with Feta and Brown ButterHow Sweet It Is
- 9Moroccan Carrot Salad With MilletNaturally Ella
- 10Garlic Roasted CarrotsDamn Delicious
- 11Ginger Carrot Salad With QuinoaNaturally Ella
- 12One Bowl Carrot Apple MuffinsMinimalist Baker
- 13Roasted Carrots And Couscous With GremolataNaturally Ella
- 14Curry Roasted Carrots With Peanut SauceMinimalist Baker
- 15Cashew Carrot BreadA Beautiful Mess
- 16Spiralized Broccoli-Stem Carrot Slaw With Dried CranberriesBoulder Locavore