NEWS

Bourke St Memorial Cleared As Bomb Unit Called To Inspect Suspicious Package

It's the site where six people were fatally injured when a driver went on a rampage this month.

31/01/2017 12:57 PM AEDT | Updated 01/02/2017 8:41 AM AEDT
Joe Armao, Fairfax Media.
Floral tributes at Bourke Street.

The bomb squad cleared a memorial to the Bourke Street Rampage in Melbourne, with several streets blocked off about 1.30pm today.

It was deemed safe a short time later.

The memorial is on the site where six people were killed when James 'Jimmy' Gargasoulas drove his car through the busy thoroughfare earlier this month, including two children.

A police statement around 1pm confirmed safety checks were being conducted at the makeshift memorial.

"We can confirm that Elizabeth between Little Bourke Street and Little Collins Street is closed to all traffic and pedestrian flow whilst this takes place," the statement said.

"The Bomb Response Unit is now at the scene."

By 1.30pm police said the area was "deemed safe".

Flowers have been laid at the inner-city location as Australians came to terms with the senseless acts of violence on January 20, injuring more than 20 and killing six.

Police last night confirmed the sixth person to die as a result of the rampage was a 33-year-old Blackburn South woman.

Scott Barbour via Getty Images
People look at floral tributes at Bourke St Mall for victims of the Bourke Street Mall Attack.

Also confirmed dead is Matthew Si, 33, Jess Mudie 22, Thalia Hakin 10, Zachary Bryant three months and an unnamed Japanese man believed to be 25.



ALSO ON HUFFPOST AUSTRALIA

More On This Topic