NEWS

Teenager Dies From An Infected Hairball In Her Stomach

The 16-year-old developed peritonitis, an infection that is deadly if left untreated.

15/09/2017 3:30 PM AEST | Updated 15/09/2017 3:30 PM AEST

A British teenager has died after a hairball in her stomach became infected and caused her vital organs to shut down, Lincolnshire Live reports.

Jasmine Beever, 16, had reportedly been "sucking" and "chewing" on her hair for years before developing peritonitis, an inflammation of the membranes of the abdominal wall and organs.

If left untreated, the infection can turn deadly within a few days, causing vital organs such as the lungs, kidneys and liver to fail.

Donna Marshall, whose daughter Billie was friends with Beever, told Lincolnshire Live that the 16-year-old was "such a darling" and that she would "miss her terribly".

"We are all in shock," she said.

"Jasmine collapsed at college, she went home to bed and then later she came out in blotches and the rest is sad news.

Billie-Jo Ashwell / JustGiving
Jasmine Beever (L) pictured with her friend Billie.

"The ambulance came for her and when she got to hospital she was brought back to life for 15 minutes.

"It's so awful."

A crowdfunding campaign has been launched to raise funds for the Beever family with more than $5,000 donated by 68 supporters.

"The heartbreak this family has endured in such a short time is understandably gut wrenching, so I have decided to raise funds for the family to try and unburden some of the financial strain at such a sad time," Billie Ashwell posted on the page.

More On This Topic