WORLD

Malaysian Government To Resume Search For Missing Flight MH370

The plane vanished on March 8, 2014, on the way from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing, with 239 people on board.

17/10/2017 11:45 PM AEDT | Updated 17/10/2017 11:51 PM AEDT
Getty Images

Two Australian women who lost their husbands on the missing Malaysia Airlines flight 370 say they are excited to hear the search might resume.

Malaysia could announce as early as this week it will restart the search, The West Australian reported on Tuesday.

However Malaysian Transport Minister Liow Tiong Lai said he had received proposals from three companies - including Dutch firm Fugro and an unidentified Malaysian company - but no decision had been made yet.

The plane vanished on March 8, 2014, on the way from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing, with 239 people on board.

MARK GRAHAM via Getty Images
Relatives of victims from Malaysia Airlines flight MH370.

The search for the aircraft was suspended in January, much to the anguish of distraught relatives.

Its disappearance is one of the world's greatest aviation mysteries, and sparked the largest ever search costing about $200 million.

Melbourne woman Jennifer Chong, whose husband and the father of her two sons Chong Ling Tan was on the flight, said she and other relatives had been working for the search to be re-started.

At the time it was suspended, the Australian Transport Safety Bureau had released findings from international and CSIRO scientists stating that they had identified a smaller 25,000sq km area with "a high probability" that it contained the aircraft.

A 440-page ATSB report produced since then again names the area.

MOHD RASFAN via Getty Images
Relatives of passengers missing on Malaysia Airlines MH370 hold placards.

Ms Chong said she had spoken to other relatives who lost people on the plane who were equally excited and surprised to hear the search might resume, but were waiting for confirmation.

"We are are group of special people, nobody can understand ... time just stopped four years ago, we are living in cycles of 'false hope or hope against hope'," she told AAP.

Mother of two Danica Weeks, who lost her husband Paul on the plane, said she was initially physically shaking with joy and felt a "weight lifted" when she read the search might resume.

"I just can't believe you can lose a Boeing 777 in the first place. It's important (finding it) for the whole aviation industry and flying public," she told AAP on Tuesday.

"We need answers, our whole lives are overshadowed by MH370 and we haven't left March 8 and won't fully until we have closure and justice."

Ms Weeks and Ms Chong separately sued the airline as a result of the deaths of their husbands.

More On This Topic